Monday, February 2, 2009

Wabi Sabi


I've always liked the idea of Wabi-Sabi, a Japanese aesthetic that regards things that are not perfect as beautiful, things that are lean and spare as lovely. I can relate to this concept in my life as well as in my artwork. I think this is why I love the desert so much, for it's honesty, sparse nature and it's lack of ripeness, it strips away the pretense. I being far from perfect in anyway have grown to except and respect my short comings and frailties and see the beauty in this human condition we dwell in. I feel Wabi Sabi in my artwork, it is one of kind, it can feel rough and organic to the eye, it's not polished or slick, I don't use molds or mechanized tools to build it. My hands create everything and from day to day my hands change, more or less strength and stability creates a different piece from day to day. Society tells us being perfect is where it's at, whether it's your body, your job, house, lifestyle, keep striving until it's perfect, don't show the weathered and worn out aspects that make us who we are. But the eye falls eventually to the character and interest of something imperfect, because it holds our eye and our minds, we can relate to it, it slows us down and we look closely and appreciate that which is all around us. I may have a little more Wabi than Sabi or perhaps the other way around, but I perfectly fine with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment